The Permanent Population Committee organised an event on the occasion of Qatar Population Day on Wednesday 30 October 2013 at a conference held under the theme, ‘Interactive relationship between the population and development,’ at the Four Seasons Doha Hotel from 9 am to 12:30 pm.
Leading members of the Permanent Population Committee, Qatar Statistics Authority, Ministry of Municipality and Urban Planning, Ministry of Labor, Ministry of Social Affairs and United Nations Population Fund have attended the event. The event featured three sessions of discussion about the impact of future developmental challenges on the future of population of the state, especially the labour market. The General Secretariat for Development Planning discussed the role of institutional plans, which are being adopted for shaping the future of the country based on Qatar National Vision 2030, Qatar National Development Strategy 2011 to 2016 and the population policy.
Issues such as the increase of women employment in the workforce, granting the youth especially students more work experience and introducing more population study reports were heavily discussed. In addition, the General Secretariat for Development Planning discussed the increased implementation of Qatarization, a programme designed to increase the number of Qatari nationals in all joint venture industries and government departments. Today, 57% of the Qatar’s population is unemployed. Approximately 30,000 Qataris are unemployed. Therefore, as part of the Qatar National Development Strategy 2011 to 2016, in the next few years, Qatar will see an influx of Qataris taking key positions in some of Qatar’s leading institutions especially government positions.
Watching with the launch of Qatar Population Policy on the 20 October 2009, and with the celebrating frame of the World Population Day instated by the United Nations General Assembly in 1989, the Cabinet of Ministers approved the Permanent Population Committee proposal to consider the date of 20 October of each year, as a date for the Qatar Population Day. The objective of this day is to focus attention on population issues and increase relevant people’s awareness in the light of comprehensive and global development plans and programmes set for the country, mainly those set within the Qatar National Vision 2030 and the National Strategy 2011 – 2016 as well as within the Qatar Population Policy. It also aims at reviewing potentialities to overcome population associated obstacles among which are, first and foremost, those related to an unprecedented demographic growth and the realisation of the slogan goal raised by the Permanent Population Committee, to move Towards a Better Life for the People.
Among events and awareness-raising activities proposed to convey the expected population message and intensify understandings of the yearly related issue is as follows:
- Organisation of lectures and seminars related practically to the population issue of the year
- Implementation of intensive awareness campaigns, involving audio – visual and written media outlets, to promote the committee’s message related to the population issue of the year
- Invitation of intellectuals to contribute to the expansion of related public awareness regarding the population issue of the year
- Coordination with religious scholars and preachers to raise the population issue of the year and promote relevant public awareness
- Distribution of printed material, booklets, brochures and posters related to the population issue of the year, directly and/or through local newspapers or other available mass media sources
- Organisation of dialogue sessions with youth at schools, youth and sports centers to increase awareness about the population issue of the year and handing out relevant publication and symbolic gifts.
For more information, visit the website of the Permanent Population Committee.