Last week the Doha 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Bid Committee travelled to Switzerland to deliver the bid for the Summer Olympics and Paralympics 2020. And now they have revealed their plans to host an accessible, fan friendly Games that focuses on using existing and already planned sports venue.
HE Sheikh Saoud with Fahad Juma, Nasser Al Attiyah and Nada Arkaj
One of the main concerns about hosting the Summer Olympics is how hot it gets in Doha during the summer months. However, HE Sheikh Saoud bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, the vice chairman of Doha 2020 Olympic Bid Committee has said that, “Heat is no issue.”
The proposed dates for the Doha 2020 Olympic Games are October 2nd to 18th, and for the Paralympic Games November 4th to 15th, when the weather conditions would be ideal for athletes.
The plans include:
- using Doha’s new US$21 billion metro system to link 78% of sports venues
- a compact hosting plan so that spectators can watch several events a day
- a cheap price for almost half the tickets: less than US$25
- developing the only Olympic – standard Velodrome in the Middle East
- developing the region’s first women’s high performance training centre