The Francophonie Festival is organised by the French Embassy and the French Institute of Qatar, dedicated to those who love the French language. According to the latest estimates, Qatar is home to at least 200,000 Francophones.
As part of the festival, these events will be held at different venues in Qatar to promote the French language:
• Eloquent Speech Tournaments between students of French in Qatar (13 March, 6:30 pm / City Centre Rotana Hotel)
• 2nd French Touch Rugby Tournament hosted by Blue Falcons Rugby Club (15 March, 8 pm to 6 pm / Doha Sport Park)
• La Grande dictée de langue française featuring two categories – French as a mother tongue and French as a second language (21 March, 5 pm)
• Goût de France / Good France featuring the flavours of Provence, celebrated by participating restaurants throughout Doha (21 to 24 March)
• Olympiades of the Francophonie – a series of sporting tournaments among the student faculties, which commences with fencing, theatrical performances, writing contests and plastic arts. (23 March, 10 am to 4 pm / French Qatari Voltaire School, in Al Waab)
• The Non-Return Concert by the musical group Cinq de Coeur, featuring five talented performers. Show highlights include well-known classical repertoire. (23 March, 4 pm / Drama Theatre, Katara Cultural Village)
These events are supported and in partnership with Qatar Foundation, Katara Cultural Village, Fnac – Fifty One East and Qatar Airways. All events are open and free. A detailed programme is available through the French Institute of Qatar website: institutfrancais-qatar.com.