- This event has passed.
Liwan Library Symposium: First Edition
29 October - 31 October
Over the course of three days, visitors will get the chance to explore a diverse range of topics, from delving into timeless classics like Hayy bin Yaqdhan to discussing the profound impact of digital publishing, archiving and the role of storytelling in education.
This symposium will also amplify Palestinian voices with the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Palestinian speakers will join to discuss the humanitarian situation and writing, publishing and illustrating for children under the occupation of Palestine. As well as exhibiting books from Liwan’s vast collection of children’s literature on the issue, the symposium will include two workshops on using artistic expression to document violations committed by the occupation.
Qatar Red Crescent will collect donations during the symposium. All proceeds will go towards humanitarian aid to Gaza. Keynote speakers and panellists for the event include prominent figures in the field of Arabic literature, children’s education and archiving.
Sunday, 29 October
Topic 1: Children’s Literature and Education
▪ Amina Ahmadi, Researcher, Children’s Literature, Education, Architecture
▪ Asmaa Al Kuwari, Writer and Founder of Children’s Literature Center and Dar Napjah, Qatar
▪ Haya Al-Dosari, Researcher and Literary Critic
▪ Hajar Al Tarouti, Founder of Hekaiat Qamar Story Library for Children and Teenagers, Saudi Arabia
▪ Lena Merhej, Comic Artist and illustrator
Topic 2: Children’s Literature in the Gulf: History and Heritage
▪ Dr Nizar Chakroun, Writer and Cultural Advisor to the Qatari Ministry of Culture
▪ Yassin Ayari, Composer and Music Advisor, Academyati and Tariq Bin Ziyad Schools
▪ Radi Mohammed Al-Hajri, Poet, Writer and Founder, of Dar Zekreet for Publishing and Distribution, Qatar
Monday, 30 October
Topic 3: Creating Literature for Arab Children
▪ Ismail Nashif, Associate Professor, Sociology and Anthropology Program, Doha Institute for Graduate Studies
▪ Susan Parker Levy, Head of the Museum of Islamic Art Library, Qatar Museums
▪ Walid Taher, Children’s Books Writer and Designer
▪ Amr bin Humaidan, Children’s Author, Educational Technology Entrepreneur and Founder, Asafeer
▪ Dr Ali Ashur Al-Jaafar, Professor, Kuwait University; Founder of ArabicStorypedia
Tuesday 31 October
Topic 4: Archiving and Translations
▪ [KEYNOTE] Dr Hisham Al-Awadi, History Professor, American University of Kuwait
▪ Haya AlShatti, Human Rights Activist
▪ Ranad Al-Qubbaj, General Manager, Tamer Foundation
For more information and registration, RSVP through Liwan’s website.
Please note that the Liwan Library Symposium will be conducted in Arabic only.