Everything You Need to Know About the New Qatari Riyal Banknotes
Qatar Central Bank (QCB) on 13 December announced that new Qatari Riyal bank notes will come into effect from 18 December 2020.
At the press conference held to announce the new banknotes, a QCB official said that the old banknotes will be in circulation and can be exchanged through local banks in the next three months and after that from Qatar central bank for ten years.
Here are all the details about the 5th series of Qatari Riyal banknotes:
The front designs share a common theme based on traditional geometric patterns, the State of Qatar flag, Qatari flora (Dreama) and an ornate gate representing historical Qatari architecture.
The back designs comprise themes reflecting Qatari tradition, Islamic history, culture, flora and fauna, and development of education, sport and the economy.
- QAR1 shows Traditional Dhow (Bateel) and the Oyster and Pearl Monument
- QAR5 shows Traditional desert scene comprising fauna (Arab horses, Camel, Oryxes), flora (Al Qataf) and ‘hair tent (buryuut hajar)’
- QAR10 shows Lusail Stadium, Torch Tower (Aspire Zone), Sidra Medicine and Education City (Qatar Foundation)
- QAR50 shows Qatar Central Bank building and Ministry of Finance building
- QAR100 Abu Al Qubaib Mosque
- QAR 200 shows Palace of Sheikh Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatar National Museum and Museum of Islamic Art
- QAR500 shows Ras Laffan LNG refinery and LNG canter ship
The public will be able to withdraw new notes from ATMs as of 12:01 am 18 December 2020. New notes will have 64 state-of-the-art security specifications. All denomination bank notes will have a new design and extra features.
LOOK (1) Look at security threads each showing the value of the denomination
FEEL (2) Feel the raised print of the numerals and horizontal bars for the blind and visually impaired
LIFT (3) Lift the banknote up to the light to see the incomplete shapes on the front and back of the note combine to form the banknote’s value
LIFT (4) Lift the banknote up to the light to see the watermark of the State of Qatar Crest and denomination numerals
TILT (5) Tilt the banknote and see changes to the appearance of the hologram
TILT (6) Tilt the banknote and see the changes to the appearance of the security thread
Source: Qatar Central Bank