This year, all roads lead to Moscow as everyone excitedly await the final matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™! Aside from being the most awaited global football event of the year, the FIFA World Cup™ trophy is also football’s greatest prize and the most recognisable award in sport. How much do you actually know about it?
- Eight years in the making. Russia was chosen to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup on 2 December 2010.
- The 2018 mascot is a wolf. Named Zabivaka™, this charming wolf is the official mascot of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™. The name means ‘the one who scores’ in Russian. Designed by student Ekaterina Bocharova, it was chosen via online voting.
- As host, Russia is automatically qualified for the tournament.
- Check your card. Visa is the only card system accepted at any 2018 World Cup stadium.
- The most expensive ticket for this year’s matches is US$1,100. Russian fans, however, can purchase tickets at lesser price.
- Winners are engraved on the trophy’s base. Every nation to have won the World Cup since 1974 is engraved on the trophy’s base.
- Golden trophy. The trophy, which depicts two human figures carrying a globe on their shoulders, is made of 18-carat gold and weighs over 6-kg and is 36-cm tall. It was designed by Italian artist Silvio Gazzaniga.
- Union of European Football Associations (Europe) – Russia (host), Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Sweden and Denmark
- Asian Football Confederation (Asia) – Iran, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Australia
- Confederation of African Football (Africa) – Nigeria, Egypt, Senegal, Tunisia and Morocco
- Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (North America) – Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama
- Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (South America) – Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia and Peru
Various establishments in Qatar will be showing the games live from Russia. Check out the Marhaba listing for information about related promotions and game screenings here in Doha.