When it comes to American cuisine, no introduction needs to be made as it’s the most recognised cuisine in the world.
Known for being fast and greasy, American food is best known by their widespread fast food chains such as McDonald’s, Burger King, Hardee’s, KFC and more. Burgers, fries, pizzas, hot dogs, steaks, pancakes, cupcakes, donuts and waffles are all-time favourites for people all around the world – and all can be found here in Qatar.
But first, here are some popular Americans dishes you should know about (can or cannot be found in Qatar):
Buffalo wings or Buffalo chicken wings are generally deep-fried, unbreaded, and coated in vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce and butter. They are traditionally served hot and spicy or in BBQ sauce, served either with or without bones, along with celery sticks and/or carrot sticks with blue cheese dip.
Also known as ‘mac and cheese’, Macaroni and cheese is a popular American comfort dish with British origins and can also be found in the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It consists of cooked macaroni pasta and cheese, most commonly Cheddar cheese, though it can also incorporate other ingredients, such as bread crumbs, meat and vegetables.
Meatloaf is a dish of ground meat mixed with other ingredients, formed into a loaf shape, then baked or smoked. The loaf shape is formed by either cooking it in a loaf pan, or forming it by hand on a flat baking pan. Meatloaf is usually made from ground beef, although lamb, pork, veal, venison, poultry and seafood are also used.
Served as street food or fast food, a corn dog is a hot dog sausage coated in a thick layer of cornmeal batter on a stick. Corn dogs may be eaten plain or with a variety of condiments, with mustard being the most popular.
A cheese steak sandwich, which is a popular American fast food, originating from Philadelphia, thus the name Philly cheese steak. It’s made from thinly sliced pieces of steak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll.
Cornbread is a common bread in American cuisine, particularly associated with the South and Southwest, as well as being a traditional staple for populations where wheat flour was more expensive. In some parts of the South, it is crumbled into a glass of cold milk or buttermilk and eaten with a spoon, and it is also widely eaten with barbecue and chili con carne. In parts of the southern and southwestern US, cornbread, accompanied by pinto beans, has been a common lunch for many people. It is still a common side dish, often served with homemade butter, chunks of onion or scallions. Cornbread crumbs are also used in some poultry stuffings; cornbread stuffing is particularly associated with Thanksgiving turkeys.
Chicago-style pizza refers to several styles of Chicago’s pizza. The most popular of these is the deep-dish pizza, which is originally Italian, specifically Naples. Baked in a specialised, round pan resembling the type used for baking a cake (typically 1 1/2 inches deep (3.1cm), the deep dish pizza is made deep and piled high, filling a tall buttery crust with either meat, cheese, tomato and authentic Italian spices.
Fajitas are of the Texan-Mexican (Tex-Mex) American cuisine, commonly referring to any grilled meat usually served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. Fajitas are served with meats such as chicken, pork, shrimp or beef cooked with onions and bell peppers. Popular condiments are shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, cheese, and tomato. In addition to fajitas, other well-known Tex-Mex American dishes are tortillas, quesadilla, enchilads, burritos and nachos.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
One of the most popular sandwiches in America is the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, also known as PB&J, which includes a layer of peanut butter and either jelly or jam on bread, commonly between two slices of bread, but sometimes eaten open-faced or with one slice folded over. Some Americans prefer only peanut butter sandwiches without jelly or jam. The sandwiches are most popular amongst school students.
A banana split is an ice cream-based dessert. In its classic form, it is served in a long dish called a boat. A banana is cut in half lengthwise and laid in the dish with scoops of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry ice cream served in a row between the split banana. Pineapple, strawberry and chocolate sauces are spooned over the strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla ice cream and garnished with crushed nuts, whipped cream, and maraschino cherry.
Usually served at holiday meals and considered a specialty of Southern America, pecan pie is made primarily with corn syrup and pecan nut, and may include white or brown sugar, sugar syrup, molasses, maple syrup, or honey. Chocolate and bourbon whiskey are other popular additions to the recipe. Pecan pie is usually served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
The official state pie of Florida, the key lime pie is made of key lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust. The traditional Conch version uses the egg whites to make a meringue topping.
Apple pie is a fruit pie in which the principal filling ingredient is apple, usually served with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
In addition to the following international American fast food chains, which are widespread across Qatar:
- Burger King
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC)
- Pizza Hut
- Papa John’s Pizza
- Domino’s Pizza
- Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
- Dairy Queen (DQ)
…here are Marhaba Picks: American restaurants to try in Doha (in no particular order):
- Applebee’s, (various locations) | 4442 7753 (Suhaim bin Hamad Street) or 4493 4880 (City Centre-Doha Mall)
- Chili’s, (various locations) | 4444 5335 (Ramada), 4411 5848 (City Center-Doha Mall), Hyatt Plaza 44863356, 4463 3474 (Al Wakra), 4472 8719 (Al Khor), 4427 3397 (Lagoona Mall)
- TGI Friday’s, (various locations) | 4486 6602
- Benningan’s, Khalifa Stadium Complex, West Bay | 4483 8700
- Fuddruckers, Khalifa Stadium Complex, West Bay | 4483 3983
- Ric’s Kountry Kitchen, Sana Complex in Ras Abu Abboud St | 4443 7846 | ricskountrykitchendoha.com
- Roger’s Diner, Suhaim bin Hamad St. | 4455 2333
- Ponderosa, Al Hilal, Al Asiri and West Bay | 4465 5880 or 4483 7427
- Johnny Rockets, Salwa Road near Starbucks and Hyatt Plaza Mall | 4455 2792 (Salwa Road branch) or 4460 4210 (Hyatt Plaza Mall branch)
- Shake Shack, Villaggio Mall | 4413 5395
- Burgeri, Aspire Park | 4449 3958
- Elevation Burger, Parcel 2, The Pearl-Qatar | 4495 3876
- Fatburger, Madina Centrale, The Pearl-Qatar
- Just Burger, Unit 267, Pearl 11, The Pearl-Qatar | 4015 0180
- Burger Gourmet, Lagoona Mall, West Bay | 4493 6368 or 3365 5300
- Buffalo’s Cafe, Ezdan Mall, Al Gharrafa | 4444 5204 or 800 8085
- Vine, The St. Regis Doha Hotel | 4446 0105
- New York Steakhouse, Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel | 4419 6100
- The Anvil Rooms, 28th Floor, Tornado Tower, West Bay | 4499 0685
- Prime Steakhouse, InterContinental Doha The City | 4015 8888
- LongHorn Steakhouse, 18 La Croisette, Porto Arabia, The Pearl-Qatar | 7004 5532
- Bread and Bagels, Beach Tower on Diplomatic St and City Center-Doha Mall | 4411 0041
- Spicy Pickle Doha, The Gate Mall | 4407 7118
- California Tortilla, C Ring Rd | 4434 4144
- Ted’s American Diners, Banana Island Resort Doha by Anantara | 4040 5116
Source: CNN and Wikipedia
Author: Ola Diab
Copyright © Marhaba Information Guide. Reproduction of material from Marhaba Information Guide’s book or website without written permission is strictly prohibited. Using Marhaba Information Guide’s material without authorisation constitutes as plagiarism as well as copyright infringement.