The FIH Men’s Hockey World League Round 1 begins Tuesday 27 November, with hosts Qatar beginning their campaign against Azerbaijan.
For those that are new to this sporting event, this unique global league presents hockey at its best and provides opportunities for new talent and teams to shine. It is an international competition organised by the International Hockey Federation (FIH), and is held over two years, serving as the qualifier for the World Cup and Olympic Games.
The Hockey World League has four rounds, running from August 2012 until February 2014. This leg of the competition sees Qatar in the same group as Azerbaijan, Oman, Sri Lanka and Turkey. Qatar recently beat Turkey in two friendlies, and in April created history by winning their first ever international fixture, when they overcame the visiting Brazilian team 3-2 in the first Test of a five-match series.
Matches will be played at Al Rayyan Stadium:
- Tuesday 27 November: Sri Lanka v Turkey at 4 pm; Azerbaijan v Qatar at 6 pm
- Wednesday 28 November: Azerbaijan v Turkey at 4 pm; Oman v Qatar at 6 pm
- Friday 30 November: Sri Lanka v Oman at 4 pm; Turkey v Qatar at 6 pm
- Saturday 1 December: Azerbaijan v Oman at 4 pm; Qatar v Sri Lanka at 6 pm
- Sunday 2 December: Oman v Turkey at 4 pm; Sri Lanka v Azerbaijan at 6 pm