HMC: Only Visit Emergency Departments for Medical Emergencies
Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) is encouraging the public to only visit emergency departments for serious, medical emergencies that require immediate intervention.
This follows the launch of a joint campaign by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC), Public Health Care Corporation (PHCC), Sidra Medicine and Qatar Red Crescent (QRC) to raise awareness of emergency and urgent healthcare services in Qatar. The five-week campaign named ‘Where For Your Care?’ aims to help patients make the best choice for their medical care needs and receive the best possible care.
The seven emergency departments and five pediatric emergency centers at HMC operate 24 hours a day and provide emergency care for serious medical cases. Dr Aftab Mohammad Umar, who heads Emergency Medicine at HMC, emphasised that the primary function of the emergency departments is to promptly attend to the most severely injured or ill individuals. ‘We are committed to treating all emergency cases, but we do prioritise the needs of those with the most critical conditions first to ensure that the right medical care is provided to the right group of patients.”
To better serve the community and manage healthcare resources efficiently, the ‘Where For Your Care?’ campaign advises the public to make the best choice for their healthcare needs:
- For life-threatening emergencies such as chest pain, choking, stroke, difficulty breathing, heart attack or unconsciousness, call 999 immediately for an ambulance.
- For non-life-threatening emergencies such as a significant deep cut, broken bone, abdominal pain, allergic reaction that does not restrict the airway or significant burn, immediately make your own way, if possible, to the nearest emergency department.
- For a non-emergency condition that cannot wait for an appointment at a health centre such as a sprain, fever, eye/nose/throat complaint, mild respiratory issue or minor burn, please visit a PHCC or QRC urgent care centre that is accessible 24/7.
- For mental health support, please call 16000, Saturday to Thursday, 8 am to 6 pm. For support outwith these times that cannot wait, please visit any emergency department.
- For a sick leave certificate or prescription, patients can contact HMC’s Urgent Consultation Service by calling 16000 Sunday to Thursday, 8 am to 3 pm.
The partners of this campaign remain dedicated to the healthcare needs of the community of Qatar and will continue to provide exceptional medical care to all patients. By following the information provided by the campaign, the public can help ensure that emergency services are available for those who need them most.
For more information about the ‘Where For Your Care?’ campaign please visit www.whereforyourcare.qa
Check out Marhaba’s FREE e-Guides for everything you need to know about Qatar.