The Marhaba team love, love, love hummus! While you can easily buy ready made hummus, it is such a quick and tasty dish to make at home. Try our recipe here!
Hummus is one of the more popular Middle Eastern dips and is a very healthy alternative to snacks such as chips. Try it served with fresh or toasted pita bread or crudites (chopped vegetable sticks). Tahini is an important part of the recipe and can be found in supermarkets.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup of liquid from the can of chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Drain chickpeas and set aside the liquid from can. Mix remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of the liquid from the can of chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low or until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Place in a serving bowl, and make a shallow well in the centre of the hummus.
- Add a small amount of olive oil in the well – 1-2 tablespoons is enough. Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread or crudites, or cover and refrigerate.
Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and can be kept in the freezer for up to one month. Add a little olive oil if it appears to be too dry.
Tip: For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chilli or a dash of cayenne pepper. You can also add half a cup of roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes or spinach. Or why not add some pomegranate?