Qatar has come a long way from being a small Arab state with very limited options for higher learning to a state where anything, as far as education is concerned, is possible.
Students in Qatar today have the option to choose from a wide variety of curriculum, from schools boasting of facilities that could outmatch any universities in the world, to programme-specific institutions that are quite competitive even at the global level.
But did you know, the very first school in Qatar was manned by only one teacher! This educational institution was established in 1949 under the name Islah al-Mohammadiyeh. (Source: Wikipedia)
Universities Within Education City
Education City covers 14,000 sq km of land area on the outskirts of Doha. It is home to eight universities affiliated with some of the best educational institutions in the world and two respected Arabic universities in the region.
- Qatar University (1973)
- Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (1998)
- Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar (2001)
- College of the North Atlantic – Qatar (2002)
- Georgetown University in Qatar (2003)
- Texas A&M University at Qatar (2003)
- Carnegie Mellon University Qatar (2004)
- Northwestern University in Qatar (2008)
- Hamad bin Khalifa University (2010)
- University College London Qatar (2012)
– Qatar University is the ONLY government university in the country.
– The Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUarts Qatar) is the first international university to establish a campus inside Education City. This school is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.
– Forty-one percent of students in HBKU are Qatari. Ironically, it also has the most diverse student population currently – 57 nationalities.
– Aggie is the term used to call Texas A&M students, faculty and staff worldwide.
– During the convocation ceremony to welcome students to the university, CMU-Q freshmen wear the robe and graduation stole that they will wear again during their graduation.
– NU-Q is ranked #12 in the United States by the US News & World Report and among the top 20 universities worldwide by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Universities Outside of Education City
Stenden University Qatar is the only Dutch university in Qatar and offers courses focused on tourism management. Their main campus in The Netherlands is situated within a ‘real’ student city.
If you want to pursue a career in nursing, the University of Calgary in Qatar is the ‘choice’ as the school, originally from Canada, is renowned for its excellence in clinical practice and family health care. Here’s an interesting trivia for aspiring nurses in the country: HMC changed its standard uniform for nurses 17 years ago (in 2000)! Hasn’t changed it since then!
University Foundation College is the first in Qatar to offer UK University Preparation Courses, licensed by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, which brings together a wealth of academic, international counselling and placement experience. Their programmes are ‘quality assured’ by the Northern Consortium of UK Universities (NCUK) and taught by UK qualified teachers.
The Future is Now!
Qatar’s increasing development has made the country more diversified, consequently giving rise to a population thirsty for knowledge and wanting to learn more. The Ministry of Education and Higher Education is now in charge of all concerns regarding education in Qatar. They are in the lead for the country’s journey towards Qatar National Vision 2030.
Copyright © Marhaba Information Guide. Reproduction of material from Marhaba Information Guide’s book or website without written permission is strictly prohibited. Using Marhaba Information Guide’s material without authorisation constitutes as plagiarism as well as copyright infringement.