Explore different cuisines from around the world – learn each region’s specialties and recipes. We have compiled dishes from east to west, from fine dining menu to street foods.
Qatar is home to a wide variety of cuisines – Indian, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese, Turkish, Italian, French, American – you name it. Both locals and expatriates have plenty of choices! With all of these options, the Qatari cuisine has been overshadowed although its available in local restaurants across the country.
Qatari cuisine shares many traditional foods of the Middle East and North African (MENA) region, especially with the Gulf region. Their food consist of meat, grain, and dairy as well as vegetables with many stew-like and rice dishes often cooked in a single pot. Traditional dishes include harees, mathrooba, margooga and machbous as well as sweet dishes such as balaleet, luqaimat and esh asaraya.
Marhaba Picks: Qatari restaurants to try in Doha (in no particular order):
- Harees Al Waldah, Ain Khaled, Al Rayyan, Old Airport, Al Aziziyah, Maezer and Shaniya | 4427 0247 (Ain Khaled, Abu Hamour), 4481 1100 (Al Rayyan)
- Matbakh Al Doha (Doha Kitchen), Bin Omran, Abu Hamour and Al Khor | 4418 2277 | 4418 2266
- Fouj Cafe, Mackeen Holding Building, Grand Hamad St. | 4431 9552 | foguecafe.com
- Kaafe Chocolatier, Talha Bin Khaleed St, Zone 52, Villa 194 | 4444 1214, 6620 4442 | kaafe-chocolatier.com
*Souq Waqif (no specific restaurant but you’ll find a group of women selling a variety of popular local, home-cooked food such as madrooba and harees)
Morocco is known to be one of the top tourist destinations in the world with rich and vibrant traditions and culture, and beautiful landscape of mountain ranges and arid deserts. In addition to its beauty, the North African country is known to have one of the greatest cuisines in the world, full of intriguing spices and flavour.
Traditional Moroccan dishes include tagine, harira, couscous, fish chermoula, Moroccan tea and B’stilla, a very special pie in Morocco.
Marhaba Picks: Moroccan restaurants to try in Doha (in no particular order):
- Tangia Restaurant, Wyndham Grand Regency Doha | 4434 3333
- Tajine Restaurant, Souq Waqif | 44355554
- Argan, Al Jasra Boutique Hotel, Souq Waqif | 4433 6888
- Marrakech Restaurant, Lagoona Mall | 4433 5555
The Mexican cuisine is known by Tex-Mex food, which is a blend of flavours and recipes from the Mexican, Texan and American culture. Today, we can find several different kinds of Mexican and American food including nachos, tacos, tortillas, enchiladas, burritos, fajitas and quesadilla.
The most common ingredient used in Mexican food is corn. Like the ancient civilisations that lived in the region, Mexicans have learned how to cook almost every meal with corn. The basic staples are native foods such as corn, beans and chili peppers. Chili is another typical ingredient used as a condiment several meals, and is the main component of the Tabasco Hot Sauce.
Marhaba Picks: Mexican restaurants to try in Doha (in no particular order):
- Toro Toro (Latin American) Marsa Malaz Kempinski, The Pearl-Qatar | 4035 5555
- Viva Mexico, Unit 150A Qanat Quartier, The Pearl-Qatar | 4444 9920, vivamexicoqatar.com
- Isla Mexican Kitchen, 2 La Croisette, Porto Arabia, The Pearl-Qatar | 4409 5285
- Maya Doha (Mexican restaurant and lounge bar), Kempinski Residences & Suites | 4405 3325
- La Bodega Negra Doha (Mexican restaurant and bar), The St. Regis Doha | 4424 4871, labodegadoha.com
- Chili’s (American & Tex-Mex), Multiple locations | 4444 5335 (Ramada), 4411 5848 (City Center-Doha Mall), 4427 3397 (Lagoona Mall)
- Applebee’s (American & Tex-Mex), Multiple locations | 4442 7753 (Suhaim bin Hamad Street), 4493 4880 (City Centre-Doha Mall)
- TGI Friday’s (American & Tex-Mex), Multiple locations | 4486 6602
- Benningan’s (American & Tex-Mex) Khalifa Stadium Complex, Souq Al Wakra | 4483 8700 (Khalifa Stadium Complex)
Known for being fast and greasy, American food is best known by their widespread fast food chains such as McDonald’s, Burger King, Hardee’s, KFC and more. Burgers, fries, pizzas, hot dogs, steaks, pancakes, cupcakes, donuts and waffles are all-time favourites for people all around the world – and all can be found here in Qatar.
Here are some of the famous dishes Americans are famous for: buffalo wings, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, corn dog, Philly cheese steak, cornbread, Chicago-style pizza, burger, Fajitas, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, banana split, pies.
Authors: Ola Diab, Sarah Mascarenhas
Copyright © Marhaba Information Guide. Reproduction of material from Marhaba Information Guide’s book or website without written permission is strictly prohibited. Using Marhaba Information Guide’s material without authorisation constitutes as plagiarism as well as copyright infringement.