Since 1994, Marhaba is Qatar’s Information Guide, the most informative, most authoritative and most popular. What sets Marhaba apart is its track record of constantly updated, reliable information on all aspects of life in Qatar, being especially useful – indispensable, some say – for newly arrived residents.
How Qatar and Marhaba have changed since 1994:
– In 1994, the population was 400,000 with 80% living in Doha. In June 2017, the figure was over 2.3 million, spread throughout the country. Residents now have further options on where to live, and this will only increase with the completion of projects such as Lusail City.
– Residents could shop at just two malls – The Centre and Salam Plaza – and the souqs. Today the choice is endless and continues to grow, with more and more shops and malls opening. The new Doha Festival City, for example, is a QAR6 billion (USD1.65 billion) megaproject covering 434,000 square metres with over 500 retail outlets and parking for 8,500 vehicles.
– Marhaba 1 featured a list of 25 places to eat. In Marhaba issue 68 the Dining Guide Listing runs to
18 pages, with restaurants in hotels, around town, Souq Waqif, Katara, The Pearl‑Qatar – and not forgetting the fast food outlets and bars!
– There were only eight sports activities mentioned in the first issue – now residents can enjoy anything from badminton to watersports, with darts, lawn bowls and scuba diving in between.
Marhaba 1 had fewer than 150 telephone numbers in the whole guide. Today the editorial team has thousands of numbers to check each issue.
– The first edition in 1994 contained the nucleus of many of the 10 sections in the current issue: The State of Qatar, Getting Around Doha, Do’s and Don’ts, What to See, What to Do and General Information became Discovering Qatar; Where to Shop, Shopping in the Souq and Where to Eat was a total of three pages; and Business Information has expanded into Banking and Commerce.
– Readers in 1994 would rely on the new edition of Marhaba to get access to all the latest information. While our printed copy is still a popular choice for many, our loyal following can also keep up to date via our website which has comprehensive listings and events calendars. Social media now plays a huge role in many peoples’ lives, so why not check out our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages? And don’t forget Marhaba is also now available as an ebook – download your copy today!