Rotana, the leading hotel management company in the region with a portfolio of properties across the Middle East, Africa, South Asia and Eastern Europe, announced the launch of its Global Corporate Sustainability Platform Rotana Earth – a comprehensive framework that addresses environmental, economic and social sustainability, that will be implemented across Rotana’s entire portfolio of new and operating hotels, hotel apartments and resorts.
The initiative supports Rotana’s ambitious expansion plans to operate 89 properties by the year 2017, which will add 10 new destinations to the company’s portfolio and involve the employment of more than 20,000 colleagues.
Rotana’s Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Omer Kaddouri, said:
With growth comes responsibility. It’s a conscious strategy we’ve embraced not just to follow the pack but to demonstrate a sense of responsibility to our generation and those to follow – to our guests, our colleagues, our environment and the various communities that we operate and live in…the goal of Rotana Earth is to guide our transition to sustainable development through setting fundamental values and principles that will help build a solid future for the company and the community.’
To achieve this goal, Rotana Earth promotes the implementation of sustainable business practices that minimize harm and maximize benefit to the environment, the economy and local communities.
Key sustainability areas the company has chosen to focus on include:
- Environment – through energy optimization strategies focused on lighting, heating and cooling systems, adopting of cleaner technologies like solar energy, phasing out Ozone Depleting refrigerators, employing waste management contractors to help reduce waste production and expand recycling efforts, etc.
- Colleagues – through training programmes, recognition and awards for adopting best practice.
- Guests – educational and inspirational initiatives such as Towel and Bed sheet Reuse programmes, Earth Hour and World Water Day participatory programmes, etc.
- Suppliers – using sustainable and responsibly sourced menu products, recycled materials and plans to develop a procurement sustainability policy that adds responsible purchasing criteria to the supplier selection programme.
- Communities – community engagement activities such as focus on children’s education and development, awareness raising walks, beach clean-up activities, plant a tree campaigns, etc.
- Governance – a clearly defined code of business and ethics, a transparent auditing process, etc.
The theme of the 2012 Sustainability Report was ‘Respect Protect’, a fitting metaphor for the journey of respecting and protecting the triple bottom line: Planet, People & Profit that Rotana embarked on last year. Every member of our team embraced that commitment and the results have translated into successful economic performance, a number of environmental programmes, high impact social initiatives and community engagement programmes that made meaningful contributions to the communities in the countries where we operate…Rotana Earth goals align with our core corporate values of LIFE: Long term, Innovative, Friendly & Ethical. As a global business serving more than 11 million guests annually and an ambitious expansion strategy, Rotana is well-positioned to make a difference environmentally, socially, culturally and economically within the tourism sector and lead the region by example.’
Detailed information on each key sustainable area, important milestones and success stories for the calendar year 2012 were also released in the latest Rotana Sustainability Report. The report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines – the most widely used reporting framework for performance on environmental, social and economic issues.