QatarEnergy Announces Selection of ConocoPhillips as Partner in NFS Expansion Project
QatarEnergy announced the selection of ConocoPhillips as the third and final international partner in the North Field South (NFS) expansion project, which comprises two LNG mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 million tonnes per annum (MTPA).
The partnership agreement was signed this week by the Minister of State for Energy Affairs and QatarEnergy President and CEO HE Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi and ConocoPhillips CEO Ryan Lance, during a ceremony at QatarEnergy’s headquarters in Doha, which was also attended by senior executives from both companies.
LNG for the global market
Pursuant to the agreement, ConocoPhillips will have an effective net participating interest of 6.25% in the NFS project, out of a 25% interest available for international partners. QatarEnergy will hold the remaining 75% interest.
Speaking at the signing ceremony, HE Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, said that QatarEnergy and their partners continue to supply an additional volume of about 65 million tonnes of LNG annually to the global market, from its North Field Expansion Projects and the Golden Pass LNG Project, to meet the growing demand for cleaner, low-carbon energy and to enhance the energy security of customers around the world.
As we have previously emphasised, LNG produced from the North Field Expansion Projects will have the lowest carbon emission levels in the world, thanks to the deployment of a number of technologies, including extensive use of carbon capture and sequestration technologies.
The Minister welcomed ConocoPhillips to the NFS project and thanked the working teams at QatarEnergy and ConocoPhillips for their excellent work and cooperation that led to this agreement, and to the Qatargas leadership and project teams for their efforts in implementing the North Field Expansion Projects safely, and on schedule.
Minister Al-Kaabi also expressed gratitude to HH The Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, for his unwavering support of Qatar’s energy sector.
The North Field Expansion Projects, comprising NFS and the North Field East expansion projects, is the industry’s largest ever LNG project. It will start production in 2026 and will add more than 48 MTPA to the world’s LNG supplies, raising Qatar’s LNG production capacity to 126 MTPA.
The project is characterised by the highest health, safety and environmental standards, including carbon capture and sequestration, to reduce the project’s overall carbon footprint to the lowest levels possible.
For more information, visit qatarenergy.qa.
Check out Marhaba’s FREE e-Guides for everything you need to know about Qatar.