QatarEnergy announces the awarding of the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for the North Field South (NFS) project to a joint venture between Technip Energies and Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC).

The EPC comprises of two LNG mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 million tonnes per annum (MTPA).

NFS, together with the North Field East (NFE) project, will increase Qatar’s LNG production capacity from the current 77 MTPA to 126 MTPA. QatarEnergy holds a 75% interest in the NFS project and has already signed partnership agreements with TotalEnergies, Shell and ConocoPhillips for the remaining 25%. The new EPC contract announcement was made during a ceremony to mark the awarding of the contract.

The contract was signed by Minister of State for Energy Affairs and QatarEnergy President and CEO HE Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, Technip Energies President Arnaud Pieton and CCC Managing Director – Qatar Oussama El Jerbi. Qatargas CEO Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa Al Thani together with senior executives of QatarEnergy, Qatargas, Technip Energies and CCC were also there to witness the signing.

Another milestone for QatarEnergy

According to HE Minister Al-Kaabi, QatarEnergy is proud to announce yet another significant milestone in the world’s largest LNG project. He said that this new milestone reinforces their commitment to meet the global demand for natural gas.

The NFS project is a unique development that minimises its environmental footprint by design. Minister Al-Kaabi said that the project includes one of the largest CO2 capture and sequestration facilities and constitutes an important step towards achieving QatarEnergy’s target of more than 11 MTPA of CO2 capture and sequestration by 2035.

The minister thanked the management and working teams of QatarEnergy and Qatargas for their dedicated efforts in implementing the North Field expansion projects. He also extended his appreciation to the management and staff of Technip Energies and CCC for their contributions, and to the Amir, HH Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, for his invaluable guidance and support to QatarEnergy and the country’s energy sector.

QatarEnergy Awards new EPC Contract 2

 

The EPC contract’s value is around US$10 billion, its scope covers the construction of two mega LNG trains with a capacity of eight MTPA each, with associated facilities for gas treatment, natural gas liquids recovery, as well as helium extraction and refining within Ras Laffan Industrial City.

In addition to the carbon capture and sequestration facilities, the environmental attributes of the NFS project also include importing a significant portion of the project’s electrical power requirements from the grid in the form of renewable solar power, which will be generated at QatarEnergy’s solar power facilities currently under construction in Ras Laffan Industrial City. The project includes a jetty boil-off gas recovery system, which will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The project will also conserve at least five million cubic metres of water per year by recovering 75% of the plant’s tertiary water. Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) emissions will also be minimised through the application of enhanced Dry Low NOx technology.


Check out Marhaba’s FREE e-Guides for everything you need to know about Qatar.