Over 600 students participated in the second edition of the Young Innovator Award competition, organised by Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU).
Focused on the topic of mitigating climate change, this year’s competition saw participating students divided into Junior, Intermediate and Senior categories, with each category further divided into two. More than 350 teams submitted entries for the preliminary round and each category had five finalists chosen by jury panels.
QEERI Executive Director Dr Marc Vermeersch, highlighted the promotion of science and research among young people as a fundamental component of their mission in QEERI.
We believe that (the) youth have a crucial role to play in bringing about sustainable, positive changes. The immense creativity, scientific research capability, and the quality of work that we have seen during the competition gives us hope for a better future.
The finals were held virtually over two days and attended by teachers, parents and the wider community. They were moderated by competition coordinator and QEERI PR, Communications, and Outreach Specialist Dilraz Kunnummal.
The winners are as follows:
Junior Category 1
- First Place: Quinn Feodore Dela Cruz Esperanzate (Philippine School Doha)
- Second Place: Qarylle Claudet Dela Cruz (Philippine School Doha)
- Third Place: Sarah Suhaib (The Next Generation School, Nuaija)
Junior Category 2
- First Place: Athif Sherif (Olive International School)
- Second Place: Carlene Rosales Campit Bocalig (Philippine School Doha)
- Third Place: Hiba Mehek (The Next Generation School, Ain Khaled)
Intermediate Category 1
- First Place: Unica De Vera, Sulwan Rohing and Daniela Suson (Philippine School Doha)
- Second Place: Mohammed Tareq GA Al Sharshani and Mohammed Amer JN Alhumaidi (Qatar Academy Al Khor)
- Third Place: Nour Osama Mousa Awad and Almaha Khalid AA Mohd Al Hamadi (Iqra English School for Girls)
Intermediate Category 2
- First Place: Simrah Salman and Maryam Fatima (The Next Generation School, Al Daayen)
- Second Place: Ali Othman AA Al Maraghi, Salman Ahmad AA Al Jehani and Salem Khalid SA Al Hajri (Qatar Leadership Academy)
- Third Place: Rashid Mohammed Al Ghafri and Abdulla Abdulrahman Haidar (Qatar Academy Al Wakra)
Senior Category 1
- First Place: Kevin Davis and Anna Jerry Manathra (Rajagiri Public School, Doha)
- Second Place: Tejaswi Manoj and Samridhi Bhardwaj (DPS Modern Indian School)
- Third Place: Abdul Ahad, Rayhan Mahetar and Nabeel Chougle (Gems Wellington School)
Senior Category 2
- First Place: Sooriyaselvan Narendran and Manogna Jayi (DPS Modern Indian School)
- Second Place: Jhaznine Mangalino, Vianca Pujante and Alexie Ibanez (Philippine School Doha)
- Third Place: Juwairiya Mohammed and Neha Alex (MES Indian School)
The Young Innovator Award 2020 competition is an affirmation of QEERI’s commitment to support Qatar’s efforts to address its grand challenges, while also contributing toward capacity building among its youth.
For more information on QEERI, visit qeeri.hbku.edu.qa.