Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC) held a special ceremony this week to mark Sport Excellence Day and recognise those who make the country’s sport achievements a reality. Athletes, coaches, stakeholders and students of Aspire Academy came to celebrate the success of Team Qatar over the past year, and to encourage the athletes to continue keeping their country proud.
According to QOC President Sheikh Joaan Bin Hamad Al Thani, the development of athletes to reach their highest potential is a top priority for QOC, and part of their strategy for Qatar National Vision 2030. He said that Team Qatar had a successful year across many sports as medals were won and records were broken, and the athletes continuing to perform and bring home many glorious titles.
Thank you for your commitment and dedication to building the sporting culture of Qatar.’
Aside from the athletes, he said that it is also important to recognise the incredibly talented coaches who support Team Qatar.
In the coming years, Doha will be hosting world-class sport events such as IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019, the IJF Masters 2020, the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar, the World Championships 2023 and the 2023 FINA World Championships.
QOC Secretary General Jassim Al Buenain said they strongly believe in the power of sport to unite, inspire, empower and educate people of all ages and abilities.
Our athletes represent everything that Qatar stands for: hard work, dedication and loyalty. We are extremely proud of them, on and off the podium. They are an inspiration to the young generation and a source of pride for all of us.
We believe that hard work deserves recognition, and our athletes work tirelessly to represent Qatar at the highest level and raise the maroon flag around the world. Sport Excellence Day is our way of thanking them, celebrating their success and encouraging them to keep up the hard work.’
During the celebration, awards were presented to athletes and administrators in different categories. Male athlete of the year was awarded to Mutaz Barshim who opened the 2018 Diamond League season with a world leading jump of 2.40 metre. Barshim continues to be a tremendous athlete and inspires many from the next generation.
Female athlete of the year was awarded to shooting athlete Al Dana Saad Al Mubarak. Other awardees include Sport Excellence of the Year, awarded to Abdulrahman Samba, who continues to beat records and defeat Olympic and world champions at every opportunity.
The following is a full list of Sport Excellence Award Winners 2018
- Male Athlete of the Year Award: Mutaz Essa Barshim, (Qatar Athletics Federation-High Jump)
- Female Athlete of the Year Award: Al Dana Saad Al Mubarak (Qatar Shooting and Archery Federation)
- Male Para-Athlete of the Year Award: Abdulrahman Abdulqader Abdulrahman
- Female Para-Athlete of the Year Award: Sara Hamdi Masoud
- Sport Excellence Award: Abdulrahman Samba (Qatar Athletics Federation)
- Promising Male Athlete of the Year Award: Abdelaziz Mohammed and Owab Barow (Qatar Athletics Federation)
- Promising Female Athlete of the Year Award: Rania Raed Al Naji (Qatar Women’s Sport Committee-Athletics)
- Jockey of the Year Award: Faleh Bo Ghneim
- Golden Federation Award: Qatar Athletics Federation
- Men’s Team of the Year Award: Qatar Indoor Handball Team
- Women’s Team of the Year Award: Table Tennis Team – Qatar Women’s Sport Committee
Sport Achievement Award:
- Team Qatar Channel Swim
- Qatar Parachuting Team
- Nasser Saleh Al Attiyah
- Qatar Bowling Team
- Distinguished Governmental Institution in Supporting Olympic Movement in Qatar: Ministry of Education and Higher Education
- Distinguished Organisation in Supporting Sport and Organising Social Sport Programmes Award: Aspire Zone Foundation
- Coach of the Year Award: Ibrahim Al Said Hassouna, Qatar Weightlifting and Fencing Federation
- Male Administrator of the Year Award: Mohammed D Al Dosari, Qatar Paralympic Association
- Female Administrator of the Year Award: Qatar Shooting and Archery Federation
- Referee of the Year Award: Ahmed Abdulrahman Al Jaida, Qatar Shooting and Archery Federation
- Camel Trainer of the Year Award: Jaber Salem Jaber Faran
- Camel Owner of the Year Award: Nasser Abdulla Al Mesnad
- Horse Owner of the Year Award: Khalifa S Al Kuwari
- Qatari Horse Trainer of the Year Award: Hadi Nasser Al Ramzany