Here’s everything you need to know about washing Afro hair, curly hair and thick, mixed textured hair from Lauren Campbell, the Assistant Manager at Roots Hair & Beauty.
The products/tools required for Lauren’s hair routine at home are:
- Shampoo – Brazilian Blowout
- Conditioner/Masque – Brazilian Blowout
- Leave-In Conditioner – 10 in 1 L’Oréal Brazilian Smooth Serum
- Kerastase Elixir Oil
- Blow dryer
- Straighteners or curling tongs
- Cleanse your hair, preferably with a sulfate-free shampoo, which is also available from the Roots Hair & Beauty home delivery service. Cleansing your hair helps to remove dirt and sebum oil.
- Dry your hair with a towel and apply conditioner.
- Apply the masque on your hair and leave it on for 10 – 20 minutes. Comb your hair from the ends to the roots, this will ensure the spread of the product through the hair and will prevent your hair snapping.
- It is easier to comb your hair after applying the masque as this softens the hair and makes it easier to comb through (comb only after applying the masque).
- While rinsing your hair, ensure that all the product has been washed off and remember to towel dry your hair, never ruffle just squeeze the water out.
- Spray the 10 in 1 L’Oréal Brazilian Smooth Serum leave-in conditioner. It is a detangler and a heat protector. The quantity does not matter as the hair will soak in the excess product.
- The Brazilian smoothening serum works wonders for Afro hair, curly hair and thick, mixed textured hair.
- Section the hair into smaller sections that you can handle. As a rough guide you should select a section of hair that is:
- The size of a 5 pence piece on short hair
- The size of a 10 pence piece on medium hair
- The size of a 50 pence piece on long hair
- As the product is heavy, only use the advised amount. It should be applied only from mid-length to the ends.
- After blow-drying, while styling your hair using straighteners/tongs/wands, make sure that the temperature doesn’t go beyond 160 – 180 degrees.
- After styling, lock in the product using a couple of pumps of Elixir Oil through the hair.
There you go, you’ve just completed a wash and style with my help. This lockdown is a great time to try out some new tips to help improve your regular hair routine, and of course, you will see and feel the difference.
These hair care tips are brought to you from Roots Hair & Beauty, one of Doha’s leading hairdressers. They are best known for being a colour and colour-correction specialist offering a wide variety of first-class hair services. You can see their regular updates on their Facebook and Instagram pages.
If you need any hair and beauty products you can get home delivery from Roots Hair & Beauty for just QAR10! They are delivering the finest products from brands like L’Oreal, Keratase, Brazilian BlowOut and Guinot. All you have to do is call or Whatsapp 5505 4494.