QATAR GREEN BUSINESS COUNCIL HOSTS QATAR SUSTAINABILITY WEEK 2018
QF member’s initiative aims to promote a culture of sustainability in Qatar
Engineer Ahmed Mohammed Al Sada, Assistant Undersecretary for Environment Affairs at the Ministry of Municipality and Environment, has officially launched Qatar Sustainability Week 2018, organised by Qatar Green Building Council (QGBC) – a member of Qatar Foundation – from the 28th of October to the 3rd of November.
Qatar Sustainability Week 2018 is an initiative held under the patronage of His Excellency Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister and Minister of Interior. Its aim is to foster a culture of sustainability in Qatar by engaging people and organizations in a wide range of sustainability-oriented activities.
“Sustainability is an important component of our activities and operations at Qatar Foundation, from constructing green buildings, to utilizing energy-efficient systems, to promoting healthy living initiatives,” said Machaille Al-Naimi, President of Community Development, QF.
“Qatar Sustainability Week is a fantastic opportunity to highlight the importance of sustainability, creating a nationwide movement that will encourage organizations and the wider community across the country to take action in this area, and support Qatar in becoming a global exemplar of sustainability.”
The opening of Qatar Sustainability Week 2018 also marked the start of one of the week’s most prominent events, the fourth edition of the Qatar Green Building Conference, held under the patronage of Her Excellency Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani, Vice Chairperson and CEO of Qatar Foundation.
This year’s conference, titled ‘The Impact,’ has brought together industry leaders and sustainability experts to address and showcase their innovative solutions to the most pressing environmental challenges facing Qatar and the region. The conference, taking place at the Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, will run from October 28–30 and feature a range of sessions covering three themes: ‘Future Sustainable Cities,’ ‘Green Business is Good Business’, and ‘Sustainability as a Lifestyle.’
During the opening ceremony of the conference, Engineer Ibrahim Al Jaidah, Board Member of QGBC, chaired an executive panel discussion titled ‘The transformation of Doha into a sustainable intelligent city in preparation for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.’ Panelists included His Excellency Dr Eng. Saad bin Ahmad Al Muhannadi, President, Ashghal; His Excellency Eng. Essa bin Hilal Al Kuwari, President, Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (KAHRAMAA); Eng. Abdulla Abdulaziz T. Al Subaie, Managing Director and CEO of Qatar Rail; and Ali Al Kuwari, Acting CEO, Msheireb Properties.
Engineer Meshal Al Shamari, Director, QGBC, said: “The effectiveness of Qatar Sustainability Week 2018 is determined by the active participation of the various partners from both the private and public sectors – Qatar Sustainability Week 2018 has more than 100 partners and 200 events.
“This initiative plays a crucial role in raising awareness among the wider community while showcasing the incredible milestones Qatar has reached in the areas of sustainability and green buildings. We’re honoured to have the backing of all the supporting partners, and look forward to welcoming Qatar’s residents to the variety of events taking place throughout the week.”
Hundreds of fun and free sustainability-related events and initiatives will take place during Qatar Sustainability Week 2018, including engaging talks and lectures, a beach and desert clean-up, art exhibitions, exercise classes, and tours.
These events have received endorsements from a number of prestigious organizations, including the Ministry of Municipality and Environment, the National Program for Conservation and Energy Efficiency (Tarsheed) – part of KAHRAMAA – and the Abdullah bin Hamad Al-Attiyah International Foundation for Energy & Sustainable Development.
Key sponsors attending the opening included Msheireb Properties (Platinum Sponsor); Redco Construction Almana (Gold Sponsor); Tadmur Holding (Awards Sponsor); Ashghal (Strategic Sponsor); Ooredoo (Telecommunications Sponsor); ENGIE’s Cofely Besix Facility Management and QAFAM as Qatar Green Building Conference Sponsors; and Contactless (Technology Sponsor).
Qatar Sustainability Awards 2018
Qatar Green Building Council has announced this year’s winners of the Qatar Sustainability Awards at a gala dinner sponsored by Tadmur Holding, held at the City Centre Rotana Hotel Doha on 28 October.
Featuring 26 categories, including schools, universities, businesses, non-profit entities, and government agencies, as well as special awards, the third edition of the annual ceremony that publicly recognised individuals, institutions, and organisations whose dedicated efforts have contributed to a greener lifestyle, sustainable development, and environmental protection both in Qatar and internationally.
The winners of Qatar Sustainability Awards 2018 are:
- Arab Engineering Bureau won the Green Commercial Building Award.
- Msheireb Properties won the Green Education Building Award.
- Al Jaber Trading & Contracting won the Green Government Building Award.
- Msheireb Properties won the Green Cultural Building Award.
- Naufar won the Green Healthcare Building Award.
- Cundall Qatar won the Green Interior Fitout Award.
- The Ministry of Culture and Sports won the Green Sports Facility Award.
- Nakilat won the Green Corporate Award.
- Qatar Rail won the Green Corporate Award.
- Evergreen Organics won the Green Restaurant Award.
- Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel won the Green Hotel Award.
- Sultan Qaboos University won the Green Research Award.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries won the Green Building Contractor Award.
- Cundall Qatar won the Green Building Consultant Award.
- SNC-Lavalin won the Facility Management Organization Award.
- Diva Lounge Spa won the Business Sustainability Initiative Award.
- Al Jaber Trading & Contracting won the Corporate Sustainability Initiative Award.
- Strelka KB won the Government Sustainability Initiative Award.
- Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (KAHRAMAA) won the Government Sustainability Initiative Award.
- Qatargas won the Oil and Gas Sustainability Initiative.
- Doha College won the School Sustainability Initiative Award
- Mushaaraqa Trading & Services LLC won the SME Sustainability Initiative Award.
- College of Business & Economics, Qatar University won the University Sustainability Initiative Award.
- EcoMENA won the NGO Sustainability Initiative Award.
- Green Wall Factory won the Green Building Product Award.
- beGREEN Design & Technologies won the Green Building Technology Award
- Hamad Bin Khalifa University won the Tadmur Holding Award.
- Ashghal won the QGBC Special Award.
For more information about QGBC, please visit www.qatargbc.org.