The Institute for Population Health (IPH) of Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar (WCM-Q) recently published a scientific review of research detailing the dramatic upswing in the use of telehealth services prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Researchers at IPH carried out an exhaustive review and analysis of 543 articles on the subject of telehealth published in 331 scientific journals during the peak of the pandemic from 1 January 2020 to 10 June 2020.

WCM-Q study on telehealth services
The research team at IPH – WCM-Q who conducted the review on telehealth services 

They found that the majority of scientific studies focused on telehealth were conducted in the United States, with the next highest number published in the United Kingdom, followed by Italy, India, Canada, Australia, France, China, Spain, and Singapore.

A key finding of the review was that 7.7% of the published scientific articles focused on the provision of telehealth services related to COVID-19. The other 92.3% of the articles reported provision of healthcare support for a wide variety of communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, HIV and non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and stroke.

The research also noted that the vast majority of studies were conducted by scientific professionals in high-income countries, raising concerns that lack of telecommunications infrastructure in lower income countries might lead to a widening inequity across various population subgroups with the increasing use of telehealth.

A further observation of the WCM-Q study is that many countries relaxed previously strict laws and regulations relating to telehealth in order to allow healthcare professionals to continue to treat their patients while physical distancing protocols were in place to reduce disease transmission. This raises the concern that regulations designed to ensure accountability, ethical medical practice, and patient data privacy have been removed extremely rapidly, which could cause unexpected challenges. Furthermore, some insurance companies did not provide coverage for healthcare delivered via telehealth approaches, posing an additional obstacle for patients, administrators and healthcare professionals.

According to the first author of the study, Dr Sathyanarayanan Doraiswamy, many legal and practical barriers to the delivery of telehealth were removed very quickly as governments and healthcare systems reacted to the urgent need to provide care while observing physical distancing protocols to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

This has undoubtedly saved many lives, but our review also reveals that there is an urgent need to establish a global consensus on definitions, boundaries, protocols, monitoring, evaluation, and data privacy.

The WCM-Q study titled, Use of Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Scoping Review, has been published in the prestigious Journal of Medical Internet Research. The study also pointed to a need to update the curricula of medical schools and continuing professional development programmes to ensure healthcare professionals have the skills necessary to provide high-quality care via telehealth approaches.

The study can be read in full at jmir.org.


Check out Marhaba’s FREE e-Guides to learn more about the healthcare sector and the various other industries in Qatar.