As events are cancelled, schools are closed, parks and outdoor activity areas shut down, experts suggest that even those who show no sign of illness stay at home during this COVID-19 time. That’s true: It’s advised that you self-quarantine.
This is also a good time give your hair some natural care therapy, experts at Roots Hair & Beauty suggests the below DIY hair masks.
DIY Hair Mask 1
The easiest and most beloved hair mask for curls? Pure oil. Both olive and coconut oil are the heaviest of the oils, but they’re also the most moisturizing, so these masks once a week for max definition and hydration.
- Coconut oil or olive oil
- Warm a half cup of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl until liquified (or, just pour half a cup of olive oil in bowl).
- Dip your fingers in the bowl and slowly coat your dry curls—oil and water don’t mix—from roots to tips with oil, working in sections until fully saturated.
- Clip your hair up, cover it with a shower cap, and leave it on for at least an hour before rinsing and shampooing your hair. If your hair is incredibly dry and/or damaged, leave it on overnight and rinse in the morning.
DIY Hair Mask 2
This DIY mask is truly magical for hydration. It’s made with avocado, which is filled with fatty acids that coat your hair cuticle in moisture, and honey, which acts as a humectant (an ingredient that draws moisture from the air and into the strand). If you’re not sure which oil to choose, pick olive oil for thicker, coarser, and/or color-treated hair, and argan or coconut oil for finer hair types that are easily weighed down.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 cup coconut milk (or almond milk, if you’re in a pinch)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender (or, use a hand mixer, or, if you’re supremely lazy, just mix by hand with a fork and whisk, but be prepared for clumps).
- Smooth the mixture throughout your dry hair, from roots to tips, then wrap and clip your hair up.
- Leave on for at least 30 minutes, then shampoo and condition as usual.
Hair care tips by Roots Hair & Beauty, one of Doha’s leading hairdressers is known for being a colour and colour-correction specialist offering a wide variety of first class hair services.